Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Lavasoft's Freeware Anti-Malware

Read the warning at the end of the post.


I updated to Ad-Aware 2008. Here are the steps I made:

1. I went to the Add/Remove Programs interface and removed Ad-Aware 2007.

2. I made a restore point using ERUNT.

3. I did a registry cleanup using RegCleaner 4.3.

4. I manually cleaned my registry.

5. I then installed Ad-Aware 2008.

I took the extra steps --- no, wait, I follow that routine everytime I uninstall something mwehehehe! --- to (hopefully) avoid the scan bug that some people have run into while using the freeware anti-malware. I'll be doing a full system scan tomorrow if time permits and see if it'll work like clockwork or come apart at the seams like an overstuffed homunculus.

In the meantime, I'm pleased with the new version as it contains skins with which to tailor the user interface:

Nice but too fiery for my taste.

Yeech. But maybe ladies will find this one appealing.

If I can just get over the impression that I'm looking at the front end of my microwave oven, I'd stick with this. Could someone banish those grille-like textures?

Still they do away with the monotony of the all-things-must-be-blue ideology that more and more software developers seem to have embraced.

I came upon the article "The Origin of Skins" In the Lavasoft Blog, which discusses how the developers of the freeware anti-malware came up with the various skins for the software.



WARNING:
DO THE PROCEDURE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I WILL NOT GIVE TECH SUPPORT NOR WILL CLAIM ANY RESPONSIBILITY IF SOMETHING ADVERSE WILL HAPPEN TO YOUR COMPUTER.


0 comments: