Sunday, August 17, 2008

Raffy's Legion -- We Made History



We Made History.



As far as I know, we were the first unofficial cosplay group to ever enter our city's biggest shopping mall without asking permission from the management. A Warhammer 40,000 Eldar Dark Reaper, a Jurassic Park scientist, V from "V for Vendetta," Agent 47, a Bleach character, and an Akatsuki ninja went strolling around, drawing stares, comments from Anime fans, and frightening/delighting numerous children. (There were more of the latter though.)

Kudos to Raffy who successfully rounded up willing companions. (Encased in an Eldar Dark Reaper costume, I tried hours earlier but the ones I invited didn't have masks so they refused.)

My only regret is that we weren't able to invite Anth since the guy seemed to have activated his cloaking device right after the competition.

I'm sure his getup would have drawn oohs and aahs from the crowd what with the gazillion doodads he made for his costume. The gathering would have been more impressive.

Still, due to Raffy's roundup, I fulfilled my dream of presenting a character from the wildly-successful Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War unit to the city (regardless of how wildly inaccurate my costume was).

Also, thanks to Jeedo who thought up the idea of hosting a cosplay party.

Not by a long shot: the armor was too big, there simply wasn't enough time to model the Dark Reaper's Reaper Launcher exactly as it should look, and it was my first time making a helmet from cardboard and wall sealant. Still, the Reaper Launcher that my wife made for me as a surprise had an impressive shock value. ("Whoa! Death carrying a tank!" an unknowing shopper commented) I'm sending her off to Mars to train as an Adeptus Mekanikus.




Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - blood, gore, and ragdoll physics are all too present in this real-time strategy game for the PC. Also: elves and orks in space!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

FOR RAFFY'S A JOLLY GOOOODD FELLLOOOWWW.. WHICH NOBODY CAN DENY.

:D

I agree with you, there was a lot of cheers, a lot of tears, and a lot of laughter during that time. I just wish I got the number/email of that guy who complimented that we were the first cosplayers in CDO. :D

And no matter the inaccuracies in your cosplay Imbacore, we were there to have fun, and that was what we did and have...

Ildamos said...

Oh but fun is just part of the purpose I was there. :D I wanted people to really feel how cool the universe of Warhammer 40,000 is. I failed in that aspect. :P

But ya, that was one memorable experience! ALMOST beats the time I got dragged into the darkness of Lucas Hall by my high school (practicing) teacher. >:)

Tina Arena eyes beat Khaine's bloody hand hands down. LOL!

Anonymous said...

That night was the most memorable time of my life. It not only fulfilled my long-lost dream but it also reincarnated the child in me. I truly enjoyed it!

Another thing that made me happy is the fact that I showed people that the main characters are not the only characters in an episode, we should also look towards the other characters that make up the roost. I, for one, "cosplayed" Sajin Komamura, a character in Bleach that majority seemed to have snobbed or even forgotten.

Well...I showed them! No way am I gonna cosplay Ichigo or the well-known characters, such a bore and no challenge, aside from being easily criticized due to being famous, instead I tried a character that nobody ever expected. And I pulled it off quite well, although incomplete.

I'm happy to hear that some people are aware of my character's biography and it really felt heartwarming. Kudos to them!

Once again, thank you for Raffy for the outrageous yet outstanding night of my life...Oh! And congrats V-boy!

- Sajin Komamura, 7th Captain of the Gotei 13.

Ildamos said...

"No way am I gonna cosplay Ichigo or the well-known characters"

Right on! The Eldar Dark Reaper is not a central unit in the game either, having been nerfed badly in subsequent Dawn of War patches. They were imba in DoW v1.0 though :D

(I've long since quit playing the game in cafes so I don't know their current state after the first patch for Dark Crusade.)