Thursday, June 17, 2010

How to Install Mechwarrior 4 Using Mektek's MTX



A lot of people have been asking me about how to install the free PC shooter game Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries. The problem lies with MTX, a software developed by Mektek to act as a "centralized distribution and patching point" for the downloadable PC games it distributes.

While it proves buggy for some, the predominant issue lies in the somewhat lengthy procedure the software requires. Gamers who don't usually tinker with their PC may find the process confusing.

If you are sure you've done things right and you're still experiencing problems, please go to the official forums and post your questions there; you'll get more detailed answers. Please take note that I am in no way connected with Fasa, Microsoft, or Mektek. I did not develop MTX. I'm just another gamer who's putting out guides and reviews in the hopes of helping other people.

However, if you're just simply curious or confused about how to install Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries using Mektek's MTX, read on.

A friendly Bushwacker scans the terrain for enemy mechs


>>>I hit my head with a rock and can't remember what Mechwarrior is. Give me a quick recap on the history of the franchise.

The guide after the jump.


Before reading the guide, I would like to point out two things:

1. This game is really free. Microsoft cleared Mektek to release Mechwarrior 4 as a downloadable free PC simulator-shooter/strategy game.

2. As mentioned before, I am in no way connected with Fasa, Microsoft, or Mektek. I did not develop MTX. Install at your own risk. If you encounter problems using the software, I cannot offer technical support.

Ok with those two things cleared up, here's the guide:

1. Download and install MTX from HERE.



2. It will ask where you will put your Mektek games. I chose the same folder where I've installed MTX:


2. Since I've heard a lot of people were experiencing problems with MTX in downloading the free PC game, I used Mektek's torrent links:

As of this date the latest FULL install is v.0021.

Downloaded using uTorrent):




(Don't mind the patches, I thought I'd be having problems patching with MTX but it turned out downloading the patches using uTorrent was unnecessary.)

3. I put the downloaded .mtx file in a folder I created:



(Don't mind the second and third files; those are the aforementioned patches.)

4. Launch MTX and click Open File.



5. Find the free Mechwarrior 4 .mtx file that you downloaded.
6. MTX will copy the .mtx file.



7. Once it has finished, wait for it to patch the free PC mech shooter.


You can launch the game from your Start menu.

Enjoy!

>>>More free PC FPS HERE
>>>Free PC RPG games HERE
>>>Freeware strategy games HERE





0 comments: